How To Write A Poem
1. Be born.
2. Sit quietly, with your eyes closed and feel your heart beating against the inside of your body, as if it is knocking to get out.
3. Look through a magnifying glass, draw a map, paint a picture of what you want to say.
4. If you don’t know what you want to say, study the thin place where the sky meets the earth. Think about everything that line contains.
5. Use your eyes, your fingers, your hips, to carve out a shape.
6. If it is airtight, light a candle below it, fill it with hot air, and let it rise. If it is not, let it roam where it wants.
7. Tell it it is beautiful before it goes.
© JEF 2012